Sunday, July 19, 2026

A Word Softly Spoken

 

Galatians 5:22-23

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

This morning at breakfast I became convinced that, when I get upset at people for upsetting other people it doesn't do God’s will to grumble about it.

Now, I’d better start from the beginning.  Or maybe I should start with a question.  Have you ever gone into a situation with a positive, upbeat attitude only to confront a person, or people who find fault with everything they encountered?

"The food was cold! The tea never came!  The service was slow!  The egg casserole didn’t have any sausage in it, as promised!"

Do you get the picture?  It gets worse.  Spread the word.  Spread the discontent and tell everyone within earshot of the entitlement  you didn’t receive.  In fact get up and go to the next table and help them understand your disappointment. 

Ok.  What did you do about that?  I hope you wouldn’t  have done what I did?  Yes, I confess, I loudly explained  to the person next to me that “some people just can’t be happy with anything” just loudly enough to make sure the offender heard me.

I believe that the Holy Spirit spoke to me softly after that statement and said, “Diane, you really aren’t helping the situation and that’s not demonstrating Jesus’ way.”

Wow!  Now what?  Afterward, I got to thinking that I don’t only do God’s will when I speak of Him to others, or when I explain salvation, or forgiveness, or heaven to those around me.  I believe the Spirit was telling me that I do God’s will when I pass on his peace and joy to others.  And I must do that by encouraging the hurting people with a smile, a kind word, or an offer to help, rather than condemnation of those who try to spread that strife and unhappiness. 

Ok, so much for my lesson from the Spirit this morning.  How was your day?

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Of course I have been there. I have learned that I might not always be helpful, but I really don't make a public scene. Thinking about your story, I would likely feel uncomfortable about hearing such complaints and might seek to finish my meal and leave. Your point, however, strikes a chord - leaving does not help anyone but me. Perhaps a brief, private conversation with the server or hostess might help fix the disappointing elements. The disappointed one wouldn't need to hear of the assistance. Something for me to keep in mind. Thanks Mom.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. As I write please know that this blog is meant to encourage people in their walk with the Lord. I hope it accomplishes that, at least some of the time.
You can reply to dnrgco@msn.com

A Word Softly Spoken

  Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-co...